Important Questions to Ask
You and your family will surely have a lot of questions - before, during and after your transplant surgery. Following are some sample questions that you should ask regarding Transplantation. You’ll probably have others. Please feel free to ask any questions, at any time, for any reason.
Questions to Ask Your Transplant Team
- What are my choices other than transplantation?
- What are the benefits and risks of transplantation?
- What does the evaluation process include?
- How will I know I am definitely on the waiting list?
- How long do most patients with my blood type wait at this hospital?
- How does the medical team decide whether or not to accept a particular organ for a patient?
Questions to ask your Financial Coordinator
- How much of the transplant is covered by my insurance and what specifically is covered?
- Who will pay for my living donor’s testing and surgery?
- How much are the organ recovery costs if I have a living donor?
- Medicare: Is your program Medicare-approved for the type of transplant I need?
- Who can I contact if I have questions or problems?
- What happens if my financial coverage runs out?
Questions to ask your Insurance Company
- Is transplant a ‘coveted service’ under your policy?
- Do you require pre-authorization for a transplant or any pre-transplant treatment? Do I need to supply any information?
- Do I need a second opinion? If so, who will pay for it?
- Is there a waiting period for coverage? If so, how long is it? Am I currently in the waiting period?
- Do you have a maximum amount or ‘cap’ on my coverage? Can this time limit be extended?
- Will you pay for my medications after the transplant? Is there any time limit on coverage of my medications? Are prescription medications included in the maximum? What else is included in the maximum?
Question about prescription drug assistance to ask your social worker
- Am I eligible for your program?
- How long does it take to get set up with your program?
- How do I receive the drugs?
- How long am I eligible for your program?
Questions to ask your pharmacist
- Is someone available 24-hours a day if I have questions or need to reorder drugs?
- Will you waive my co-pay?
- Do you offer a discount if I pay with a credit card or check? What if I have no insurance coverage?
- Do you charge for delivery?
- How soon after I call in my prescription will my medications be ready?
- Do you always keep my medications in stock?
Post Transplant Questions to ask your team
- What are each of my medicines for?
- What are the side effects of the medicines I will be taking?
- What side effects should I call about? Who should I call?
- What should I do if I miss a dose of medication?
- Are generic drugs OK?
- When should I take each of my medications?
- Which over the counter antibiotics should I avoid?
- When should I come back for checkups?
- How do I monitor my health at home?
- What are the warning signs of rejection and infection? Who should I call?